The countdown to Summer is officially on, and you swore this year you’d have a rockin’ bod to show off – but your sweet tooth has other plans. The lure of your nana’s famous choc chip cookies is all too much.
Wait! Before you give up all hope, slip on your ‘fat pants’ and devour the whole plate, give these paleo alternatives a go. Whip up a batch and we promise you won’t be disappointed, and they’ll be much more supportive of your ‘Operation Summer Bod’. While you’re at it, make some paleo pumpkin ice cream sandwiches too.
I snatched this recipe from a blog called The Freckled Foodie – I felt a special connection as a fellow freckled girl myself 😉
- 2 cups almond meal/flour
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- 1 heaping tsp plus 1 tbsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar or maple sugar
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup pumpkin butter
- 1/4 cup palm shortening, coconut oil or ghee
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper
3. Mix flours, salt, baking soda, 2 tbsp sugar and the tsp of pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl
4. In a small bowl mix together the egg, pumpkin butter, and shortening
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly
6. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes
7. While the dough is chilling add the remaining sugar and pumpkin spice to a small bowl and stir to mix
8. Scoop the dough with a small cookie scoop to make them uniform and roll in the sugar/spice mix
9. Place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet
10. Once the sheet is filled, lightly press down on each cookie with the bottom of a glass
11. Bake for 8-10 minutes
12. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack
13. Store in an airtight container, room temp for 2 days or refrigerate for up to a week
This article appeared first on Urban Society.
What’s a healthified version of a fave you love to bake?
Anyone out there follow the paleo/primal lifestyle? What do you think are the benefits and/or drawbacks of it? Keen to know!
Happy Friday, for the Aussies – and other readers, soldier on troopers, you’re almost there! 🙂