Breakfast lovers, rejoice – for I’m about to tell you the secret to the most delicious brekkie ever.
Yes, you may think you’re the absolute brekkie queen/king, and nothing can rival your culinary skillz in the kitchen each morning, but I promise this will rock your world.
And I guess I can’t leave the breakfast skeptics out… I will never understand this crazy non-breakfast-eating phenomenon, and will just say instead: you’re missing out, kid. Big time.
Let’s just agree to disagree on the whole breakfast debate. Deal? Good.
But then again, who said granola is just a brekkie thing? I think, just quietly, it might be common knowledge and widely accepted that granola is perfectly, socially acceptable at any time of the day/night. We all just don’t admit it, and instead, are all staying up at night watching crappy stand up comedians and munching on the good stuff. Always a good time. 😉
This incredible granola has got everything going for it: it’s crunchy, it’s sweet, it’s got a great mix of flavours, and it’s completely healthy and guilt-free.
If you’re anything like me, and wake up with such a monster hunger you don’t even know yourself/can’t get to your fridge quick enough, then you have to whip up a batch of this, stat! It’s also mighty filling and makes for a really satisfying brekkie, which I know always starts my day off well. 🙂
Okay, so I’m going to stop rambling on about my crazy, slightly creepy love affair with breakfast (it’s getting pretty serious guys…), and put you out of your misery of waiting to get your hands on some of this unearthly brekkie magic.
So, my hungry buddies, meet Fruity Coconut Granola.
Recipe from Elizabeth Rider’s blog.
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup raw nuts of choice (I used almonds for this and never looked back)
- 1/4 cup dried, unsweetened fruit (I used raisins & apple pieces)
- 1/4 cup seeds (I used pepitas or pumpkin seeds… but sunflower seeds would be delish too!)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Put all your ingredients in a big bowl (yep, just chuck ’em in) and mix it all with your (clean!) hands. The coconut oil will melt with the heat and should mix in nicely.
- Spread a thin layer onto a baking tray lined with baking paper or sprayed with oil.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the granola is lightly toasted.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture until it’s all cooked up.
- Let cool, then store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
The granola is perfect served with your milk of choice and some banana sliced on top, or even simply sprinkled on some yoghurt for a great snack.
I thought I’d be all cute and sweet, and pop it in a jar a-la Pinterest (jarring everything is all the rage, so this makes me hip and cool), and gave some to my Mum as a little unexpected pressie.
…to which she responded, “okay, fess up – what do you want?”
No, I’m kidding, she loved it! And plus, I’m just a perfect daughter and would never bribe my Mum with irresistable, delicious food…
But I’ll also just mention that I’d kinda like a puppy. And a car. One day, no biggie or anything. And certainly no pressure.
I love you Mum. 😉
What’s your favourite add-ins for granola or muesli?
What’s your preferred method of bribery?! C’mon, we’re all mates here… 😛
Enjoy, my fellow breakfast lovers out there!
And those non-brekkie people, we can still be friends?