When life gets more and more hectic, it gets pretty damn impossible to put together extravagant three-course meals all day everyday like usual… which I’m not sure if anyone realistically ever does, but if you do; I’m coming over for dinner. And breakfast and lunch. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Anyway, busy lives means less time to prepare food – especially when eating a nutritious, balanced diet is a priority for you. You’re exhausted, and the lure of those persuasive golden arches can be all too much…
It’s all good, before you start fantasising about that Big Mac, and that McFlurry chaser you’re going to follow it up with, I’ve got you covered!
Enter: the humble little egg and veggie muffin.
These babies are fabulous, because there are so many things you can do with them. The possibilities are endless! If you simply cook up a batch before the impending, big, scary work week, you’ll be laughing in its face before long.
Pop a few in the microwave and warm them up for dinner with some roast veggies or salad on the side, or my personal favourite, slice them up and make an awesome egg sandwich out of it!
Also great for just an on-the-go snack, giving you an awesome protein hit.
One thing I’d definitely do, is add a sprinkling of your favourite cheese on top when serving, or even before the baking process. It adds a really good flavour punch.
I truly felt that some cheesy goodness was missing, even though these were yummy. What can I say? I just lurve me some cheese. 🙂
PROTEIN-PACKED EGG & VEGGIE MUFFINS (Makes 12)
- Oil spray
- 2 small onions
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 red capsicum / red bell pepper (for all my US readers who are blinking blankly at the word “capsicum” 😛 )
- 14 egg whites
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees / 375 farenheit, and coat a 12-muffin tin with the oil.
- Cut up all your veggies in the smallest possible pieces, by mincing and shredding. Combine them all thoroughly in a bowl.
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3 of the way with the veggie mix.
- Whisk the eggs and whites with the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Fill the rest of the muffin tins with the egg mixture. A good way to do this, is to use a 1/3 cup measuring cup for each one, generally that’s just enough, give or take. 😉
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the muffins have risen and are a little bit browned.
What’s a muffin flavour you just can’t ever pass up? Doesn’t have to be healthy! Can totally be those choc chip ones as big as your head. 😉
Other on-the-go snack ideas?