Today was just your average, boring, depressing hump day, and I was stuck in my apartment with nothing to do- except for that pretty hefty to-do list calling to me from my desk.
So obviously, the only thing you can possibly do to offset Wednesday blues and get you through to the weekend, and avoid doing the things you know you should be doing as a responsible, organised adult (read: supposed to be me, or something..)
“Of course! Why didn’t I think of that?!” I hear you all cry in synchronised unison.
Okay, so enough complaining and pretending I can use big words in an actual sentence.
Clearly you’re all on the edge of your seats, dying to know what amazing creation I whipped up in the kitchen…
Introducing, chocolate and banana surprise muffins.
Or otherwise known as the perfect cure for anything bad in the world; especially overcoming the mid-week crisis that is Wednesday and discovering the light at the end of the tunnel: the weekend, and potentially the promise of many more delicious muffins to come.
It’s a win-win, really.
These muffins were the absolute bomb, and I may even be generous and overly excited enough to give you guys the recipe.
(Thank me later).
The good thing about these muffins, is they’re even great if you’re on a bit of a health kick or can’t eat gluten.
You see, instead of using flour, I chucked in some almond meal which is full of healthy protein and fats, as well as a good ol’ dose of vitamin E.
On top of that (yes it gets better!), the bananas are a great source of low GI energy, and are really rich in potassium.
The eggs are a fabulous source of protein too!
So really, this is just an excuse to eat muffins, and then wait for someone to give you the “do-you-really-need-that” look after eating four, so you can then act all smug and tell them how they’re so good for you.
So here it is, without further a-do, get to the kitchen stat and cook up some of these babies!
Chocolate & Banana Surprise Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups of almond meal
- Sliced almonds for topping
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- Banana slices for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of agave nectar (or alternatively, 2 sachets/teaspoons of Stevia)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (300F), and line a muffin tin with canola spray.
- Mix together the almond meal and baking powder.
- In another bowl, mix together the bananas, eggs, agave nectar/Stevia and cinnamon with a hand blender/mixer until nice and fluffy.
- Place a third of the batter into another bowl, this will form the chocolate-y centre of each muffin. Add the cocoa powder and mix in well.
- First, pour half the original mixture into the muffin tin, making up about a third of each one.
- Pour in the cocoa batter on top of each, also filling about a third.
- Finally, add the remaining batter to each muffin tin to cover the cocoa batter.
- Place a slice of banana in the centre of each, then sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the skewer comes out clean. Remember, they will continue to bake a lil’ bit when you get them out of the oven! They’re just too hot, obvs. 😉
These were so, so incredible; and I’m asking you really, really nicely to go and make some for your own enjoyment right now.
Actually, take this as an order. This is serious stuff, not to be missed!
Why hello there, sexy muffins. How you doin’?
Oh my god, stop it. This is getting ridiculous!
The chocolate-y centre- Yum.
Original recipe from honestfare.com, but I changed it around a tad. 🙂